|Job Title||Director, Tax REIT|
At Lineage Logistics, our six values help guide how we behave and define what we hold most important: Safe, Trust, Respect, Innovation, Bold, Servant Leadership. We all play a position that is key to the company’s success. Join our Finance team that is growing both domestically and internationally.
We’re currently seeking a Director of Tax to join the team. As the Director of Tax, you will manage all tax aspects of our Real Estate Investment Trust (REIT). You will focus on worldwide REIT compliance, REIT due diligence associated with mergers and acquisitions (M&A), and the REIT-compliant integration of successful acquisitions. Additionally, you will assist with the REIT implications associated with tax planning, compliance, audit and transfer pricing.
The tax function is based in our US headquarters in Novi, Michigan; relocation is not required but periodic travel to the corporate headquarters will be required. Management anticipates that the successful candidate for this role would assume the VP of Global Tax role within three to five years.
Responsibilities of the Director of Tax (REIT):
- Work closely with the VP of Global Tax and existing third-party tax service providers, to transition global REIT compliance functions in-house
- Manage and oversee REIT income and asset testing including review of REIT testing outputs on a monthly basis
- Ensure REIT due diligence for acquisitions is completed accurately and thoroughly
- Lead the integration of acquisitions into existing REIT tax structure
- Guarantee compliance with our Private Letter Ruling
- Ensure taxable REIT subsidiary (TRS) entities are properly supported
- Supervise compliance with REIT distribution tests, including review of annual E&P and return of capital calculations for distribution to shareholders
- Assist with managing and minimizing risks inherent with being a REIT including prohibited transactions, excise taxes, impermissible tenant services, and related party rents
- Assist with the management of outside vendor relationships with REIT legal counsel and tax advisors
- Monitor REIT industry issues, and analyze legislative proposals impacting the REIT industry
- Ensure compliance with REIT organizational requirements
- Evaluate the current outsourced tax compliance model to optimize internal resources to provide for a more efficient co-sourcing mode
Required Qualifications of the Director of Tax (REIT):
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field
- 8+ years of tax experience focused on REIT and partnership taxation
- Comprehensive knowledge of US Tax laws specific to REIT compliance with extensive practical hands-on modeling experience for both income and asset testing components
- Strong understanding of the practical aspects of separating REIT vs TRS business activities to ensure a “REIT ready” transaction closing, in the context of acquisition due diligence
- Deep knowledge of transfer pricing “arms-length” principles and associated legal entity accounting and consolidation concepts
- Ability to work well within the tax function, cross-functionally with corporate departments (e.g., accounting, legal, finance, IT, etc.) and with external legal and tax advisors
- Ability to prioritize competing initiatives and to work both independently and within a team
- Strong executive presence and communication skills with the ability to succinctly describe complicated tax rules and structures in a way that makes sense to non-tax professionals
Preferred Qualifications of the Director of Tax (REIT)
- CPA and Master’s degree or JD strongly preferred
This is an excellent position to begin your career path within Lineage! Success in this role leads to greater responsibilities and promotions! A career at Lineage starts with learning about our business and how each team member plays a part each and every day to satisfy our customers’ requirements. Beyond that, you’ll help us grow and learn on our journey to be the very best employer in our industry. We’ll ask you for your opinion and ensure we do our part to keep you challenged and engaged as we grow our business. Working at Lineage is energizing and fun. Like being with friends, we understand respect and care about our team members. We believe in keeping you informed whether it’s at our daily start-up shift meetings, or our annual team member opinion survey - we want our team together and aligned.
About Lineage Logistics
Lineage Logistics is a warehousing and logistics partner committed to delivering sophisticated, customized, and dependable cold chain solutions to leading food, retail, agriculture and distribution companies. We serve customers who put a premium on excellence and reliability to ensure our nation’s food supply is handled, stored and delivered safely and securely through the entire supply chain.
Not ready to apply? Join our Talent Network. Note that this will not apply for a job. To apply, you must click below to begin.